Colorado State Forest Service (CSFS) personnel serve as resources for landowners, homeowners and communities so they have the knowledge to fully prepare for future wildfires. This mission of the CSFS is to achieve stewardship of Colorado’s diverse forest environments for the benefit of present and future generations. We are a service and outreach agency of the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU).
The CSFS offers many programs and resources for landowners and communities working to become fire-adapted. A Fire Adapted Community® (FAC) assumes responsibility for its wildfire risk and takes appropriate actions. These communities consider people, developments, businesses, infrastructure, cultural resources and natural resources in planning efforts to prepare for the effects of wildfire. Actions residents take not only reduce their wildfire risk, but also increase forest health through sound forest management practices.
A primary goal of the state’s 2010 Forest Action Plan was to “protect forests from harm.” This goal included encouraging the creation of fire-adapted communities through the implementation of forest management to increase forest resiliency. Programs and resources offered by the CSFS to assist landowners and communities to become fire-adapted include:
• technical assistance and education for landowners
• on-the-ground implementation of fuels reduction projects
• guidance in the development and implementation of Community Wildfire Protection Plans (CWPPs)
• Firewise Communities/USA® assistance
• the Colorado Wildfire Risk Assessment Portal (CO-WRAP), which is an online mapping tool that provides access to wildfire risk assessment information
• assistance helping landowners meet the requirements for a wildfire mitigation measures tax subtraction of up to $2,500
• a Natural Resources Grants and Assistance Database
• publications on how to reduce wildfire risk
Learn more about the CSFS’s wildfire mitigation and FAC resources here: http://csfs.colostate.edu/wildfire-mitigation/.